How to Upgrade WordPress Manually
WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platform and its users are increasing rapidly. This is one of the best and easy to use content management system which helps you to manage your blog effectively and efficiently. Almost everyone loves to have a blog and most of us might have a blog for any reason.
This topic discusses how to upgrade WordPress blog manually, as the WordPress always releases new updates on a regular basis. There is the option for auto up-gradation, but at times due to some errors you may not be able to upgrade it automatically. In this case you need to upgrade you WordPress blog manually. While upgrading your WordPress blog, you need to take some precautions, so that you might not have any difficulty in getting it done.
Consider you have a site and you have the WordPress blog installed in the root of the website which needs to be upgraded manually. In this case you need to follow these basic steps to upgrade your blog manually.
1. Download the latest WordPress file on to your local system, which would be in zipped format.
2. Unzip the downloaded WordPress file.
3. Log on to your website via shell access or through FTP. (FTP is recommended more for easy actions)
4. After logging on your website via FTP, go to your root folder, where you can see the folders and files of your existing version of WordPress blog.
5. From the WordPress files and folders that you see in the root, delete the folders named wp-includes and wp-admin.
6. After deleting these two folders, go to the new WordPress file which you have just downloaded.
7. From the new WordPress file upload the folders named wp-includes and wp-admin to your website, via FTP.
8. Now open the folder named wp-content in both the newly downloaded WordPress file and your existing WordPress blog.
9. Now start uploading the files individually from wp-content on your desktop to the wp-content folder present in your blog. All these files will be over written. Make sure that you do not delete any files or folders present in your wp-content file before this step.
10. You have now uploaded the new version of the folders named wp-includes, wp-admin and wp-content on your website. Now start uploading the files present in the root directory of the new WordPress version individually to your existing WordPress directory.
Now you have successfully completed your WordPress auto up-gradation process and you can avail all the new features of the new WordPress version on your blog.